twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why would I start doing this all of a sudden? Really strange?

I am waking up with my thumb in my mouth. I have never in my life sucked my thumb. Now all of a sudden I wake up every morning sucking my thumb. I have no desire to do it when I am awake and do not remember doing it when I am asleep. I asked my hubby if he noticed it, he said for me not to worry about it, if it helps me to sleep. I do worry about it. Have you heard of such a crazy thing before. I know this is crazy and I have searched the internet trying to find an answer.

Be nice!
Answer:
:)
That's pretty funny, you have to admit.
No, I've never heard of this. Is it every night? Are you dreaming about eating? How often are you waking up with your thumb in your mouth? Are you stressed about something?

I'd try to pinpoint something that has changed in your life recently, and I'd suspect it has to do with that. If it really bothers you, you could maybe get one of those things to wear for tooth grinding-- I think you can buy them at drugstores-- and then your thumb wouldn't fit in your mouth.

I'm guessing it will probably go away as abruptly as it started. But obsessing about it won't help. I'd take your husband's advice and try not to worry about it.
Do you have TMJ? Your body is probably doing what comes naturally- it makes your jaw more comfortable.
Do you snore? If that's been a previous issue, then I would think that it is your sub-conscious way of quitting. Most people snore with their mouths open, and putting your thumb in your mouth stops that.
YOU ARE FINDING WAYS IN YOUR SLEEP TO MAKE HER SELF CONTENT ..THAT'S KINDA OF CUTE LOL , I MEAN I WISH , I HAD A WIFE TO LET ME SUCK HER THUMB , MMmmmm! I AM VERY GENTLE !!
I sleep in the fetal position every night no matter how hard I try not too. I actually sleep with my fist balled up as well. I think it's a return back to the womb thing? ( ^ _ ^ )
Looking behind your reaction of surprise, do you enjoy it? Does it feel good? Don't worry about it, unless it progresses to something unhealthy or harmful.
Sucking your thumb is not "crazy." I wish people would stop using that word, especially on themselves. What you are doing in your sleep is known as "self comforting." It might be that you have stressors in your life, and when you sleep, your subconscious takes over and comforts you through thumb sucking. This is not that unusual and I have seen it in adults, especially those going through difficult stressors, like a bad job or the stress of having young children in the house. There's nothing "crazy" about it.

If it disturbs you that you do this, you might try going to sleep with a "stress ball" or something like it in your hands. This might help you squeeze the ball in your sleep instead of suck your thumb. Make sure that you surround yourself with comforting things as you go to bed to decrease stress. I would suggest not watching action films or violent TV shows, or reading horror novels before you go to sleep. It might also help to create a different environment in your bedroom, such as lowering the lights, using candles, or anything that will make going to bed more peaceful and restful.

I would also suggest that you look at your life and see what stressors you have - what stresses you out? Do you worry about things before you go to sleep? Do you go to sleep worrying about things in your life? That might cause you to become upset subconsciously, leading to the thumb sucking.

Anyway, stop calling yourself crazy! this is not that unusual. If you have more concerns speak to your doctor or a counselor. Good luck!
"M" have you thought that you quit smoking when we found out you were pregnant?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net