twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why would my girlfriend go to detox? Seroquil or opiate addiction?

I think my girlfriend is lying to me. She told me that she has been trying to get off of Seroquil and has to go to the hospital for "detox" 5-7 days. My brother is a psychiatry resident and told me that withdrawal from seroquil does not require detox and a 5-7 day period is used for withdrawal from heroin or opiates. I suspect she is not telling me the truth and said that she was going to be violently ill and I couldn't visit her. A 5-7 day stop in the hospital where you get violently ill sounds like withdrawal from methadone, not seroquil. What do you think?
Answer:
Your brother is correct. Seroquel (an antipsychotic) does not require "detox", nor would she become violently ill from discontinuing it. Benzos, alcohol or opiates are each possibilities, however.
you have to see your girlfriend to be sure if she is telling the
truth or not
probably to withdraw from a real addicting drug , serouel is not addictive.
I am a nurse who has worked in psychiatry and detox.its not seroquil it can be any street drug meth is a big one that is a bad detox, heroin, opiates, also alcohol could be a bad detox I once saw with alcohol a guy with hallucinations but he drank several years and a lot on a daily basis. But alcohol can cause seizures to when detoxing.But it is def not Seroquil that is a prescription and would not be going to detox her doctor would have her slowly reduce her dosage to get off Seroquil. Seroquil is an anti psychotic assess why she is taking it she could be on it for drug induced psychosis which would not be smart then to go off of the seroquil because of what psychosis is also if it is not drug related she should not go off of a psychotic drug her psychosis may return.
I'm a pharmacist. It's spelled SEROQUEL (generic name = quetiapine). It's an atypical antipsychotic and not addictive. It's also used to treat bipolar disorder and sometimes used for unipolar depression, eating disorders, anxiety, etc. She'd be more likely to be put ON Seroquel in rehab to help with any co-existing emotional problems that led her to use opioids, than she would be going to rehab for Seroquel. Detox is for opioids and/or alcohol mainly.
I think your brother has informed you correctly.

On the other hand, frankly, it is none of your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net