twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Will a lifestyle change beat depression and anxiety?

I have always been a happy and carefree girl and never thought I would end up on anti depressants, no idea how this has happened, ever since returning from overseas I have had severe depression and anxiety, trying everything to get back my normal self, I am totally unhappy with my life, have screwed up all my friendships, hate my job, hate where I live, and spend all my time lying on my bed thinking about what to do. Do you think a complete lifestyle change would help, if I was to just go back overseas, do you think this would make things worse or help? I know there is not really a right or wrong answer but I know that if I don鈥檛 change anything I will not get better, however am not sure if leaving everything behind will help me either?
Answer:
Hi, I would say the first thing to do is to stop beating yourself up over the past and the way things have turned out.
Forget the past - you can't change that. Concentrate on the future. Your past does not equal your future.
Next find out as much as you can about depression and anxiety. You could start here - http://www.self-help-mental-health-depre... .
Also take a look at the Self Help Page here - http://www.self-help-mental-health-depre... for some ideas that will help you overcome your depression.

Good luck!
Lifestyle change can help anxiety but it won't take care of the depression.
For me, a lifestyle change was absolutely the solution. No more meds! I'm very happy!

On the other hand...are you running away from a problem?
You sound just like me about 1.5 yrs ago. I don't think going back overseas will take care of anything. It will not take away the depression. You need to take an anti-depressant (if you are not already) and it will help you. It only took me 6 months, and I didn't need them anymore. You need to stop dwelling on what you don't like about your life and start making changes. Start looking for another job. It will not happen right away, but you will get there. Good luck.
We are all depressed at times. We are all bi-polar to a certain extent. It is the changes we make in our life that create the wave of our souls' ups and downs. If you make enough changes, there will be a crash, an explosion of satisfaction and contentment.
I think you should deal with your problems where you're at and not move back overseas. The unfamiliar surroundings may just make things worse. Try out small lifestyle changes-new hobbies, new job, etc. If you aren't already seeing someone, a counselor can help guide you through the things you are dealing with.
Running away is never the answer- but try focusing on the things you arn't happy about.. like the place you live, your job etc. Working in a place you hate is certainly not doing anything for your self esteem.. so, change it!

Relationships are important and it's amazing how much they can survive with a little work.. instead of finding new relationships- how about working on fixing the ones you have.. "sorry" may have to be a word that you use a lot.

Maybe instead of changing 'lifestyles' consider changing your outlook on LIFE? Make yourself get outta bed- exercise, listen to positive music, hang around with positive people.. life is way too short for you to be sitting in bed hating the life you have when with a bit of time and effort you can change your circumstance.

Serenity Prayer
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change- the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to know the difference."

good luck!
Have you talked to your doctor or therapist about this? It might help to sort it through with a professional who knows more of the details about your particular situation. It may be that what is best for you is a combination of medication and lifestyle changes.

Best of luck to you.

(If you do not have a doctor, talk to your employer to see if they have an Employee Assistance Plan, or visit one of the websites below.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net