twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why do you think people like cemeteries?

i love cemeteries, to death, even if there isn't anyone i know buried in there. if i go out of town, i will go sit in a cemetery i have never been to before. it might have something to do with my anxiety and insomnia disorder, but i'm not sure, i feel relaxed and calm when i am in a cemery
Answer:
either theyre depressed or becuse theyre always in a noisy area. they need time to think and its one of the places where they find its peaceful and quiet.
hmmm...never met anyone who loved cemeteries but I think most people find them relaxed and calm places.
You should get a job as one of those cemetery workers, lol.
Maybe it's the feeling that you're making some kind of connection with the other aspect of living--death. I think I know what you're talking about. It's a calming feeling, and very humbling to know that...we're all equal in death, no matter how much other people will try to tell you otherwise in life.
maybe it's the peace and quite.

and i've heard from somewhere that "death is the great equalizer"... so maybe you feel no pressure there.

plus haven't you heard? ... "everyone's dying to get there". LOL.
I like them too. the quietness and solitude helps. I also like to read the names in the old part of the cemetary. I also like nature and they are surprisingly full of life.
That's pretty morbid and creepy. But who am i to say. I agree with the other person that stated you should get a job there. Sounds like a dream job for you and I'm sure Cemetaries don't get persons as enthusiastic as you about being there.
I love cemeteries too.
They make me feel relaxed, and they make me feel...just... happy? Elated?
No idea why, but it probably has to do with my anxiety and insomnia disorder too..
=D.
Never met anyone who liked them as much as me.
Well now I have =D
Because all the people buried there no longer have to worry about anything. To be dead is perceived as being at peace, which is probably comforting to some people with anxiety issues.

For others, I think it is a way of feeling powerful over something that most people fear. If you don't fear something that scares everyone else, you feel brave and in control. Again, this may be especially attractive to people with anxiety.
because death is the ultimate question/answer-until you make peace with God as you know Him, it is easier to try and get comfortable with death. the grave is something we can see and think we can understand. But it is a myth. only the love of God satisfies.
Well ,they tend to be more peaceful than, say, road junctions. And its a lot easier to dig holes there too.
i beleive those welove are with us in spirit maybe you enjoy being with the spirits of people you've lost
Does this work in pet cemeteries?

My cat wants to know. We were trying to figure out what's up with you.

My guess is you're drawn to the history of the people buried there in a very real subconscious sense. Not only are they park-like but there's some serious investments in those stones and buildings. So, you're also attracted to wealth.

I grew up in a neighborhood that was some distance from a hillside cemetery. My street was aligned to the neon sign marking the location of the burial site. From my street curb would gather my feelings about the place where my ancestors were put to rest.

Death occurred on our streets from gang related violence so having the cemetery overlook us 24/7 was ominous. We all had to make peace with it's meaning.
You're wierd. I hate cemeteries, because they mean death, which is getting within grabbing distance at my age. They are depressing, especially the graves of the children and of relatives. The person isn't there anymore, just memories for those left behind. Their spirit has gone on to a better place.

I know this for a fact since I saw my father-in-law, who was crippled, unable to jump and dance in life, jumping and dancing, smiling and waving beside his casket as people came in to his funeral. And again at the cemetery as he went to his wife and children to say goodbye. His spirit went on, the grave holds an empty shell.

As sure as I am of there being a better place, I kind of like it here for as long as possible. So I will avoid cemeteries and their depressing moods, no matter how beautifully landscaped.
Starting in childhood; I have had a fascination with cemeteries. They're peaceful and quiet. Have you ever read or listened to "Spoon River Anthology" by Edgar Lee Masters? Each dead person gets a short amount of time to tell their story.

For example, here is Tom Merritt:

AT first I suspected something—
She acted so calm and absent-minded.
And one day I heard the back door shut,
As I entered the front, and I saw him slink
Back of the smokehouse into the lot,
And run across the field.
And I meant to kill him on sight.
But that day, walking near Fourth Bridge,
Without a stick or a stone at hand,
All of a sudden I saw him standing,
Scared to death, holding his rabbits,
And all I could say was, “Don’t, Don’t, Don’t,”
As he aimed and fired at my heart.

So his wife was cheating on him and her lover shot him dead.

As for his wife? Here is her story:

SILENT before the jury,
Returning no word to the judge when he asked me
If I had aught to say against the sentence,
Only shaking my head.
What could I say to people who thought
That a woman of thirty-five was at fault
When her lover of nineteen killed her husband?
Even though she had said to him over and over,
“Go away, Elmer, go far away,
I have maddened your brain with the gift of my body:
You will do some terrible thing.”
And just as I feared, he killed my husband;
With which I had nothing to do, before God!
Silent for thirty years in prison!
And the iron gates of Joliet
Swung as the gray and silent trusties
Carried me out in a coffin.

Ha! So she was tried, convicted and sent to prison where she died.

As for her lover, Elmer Karr? Here is his story:

WHAT but the love of God could have softened
And made forgiving the people of Spoon River
Toward me who wronged the bed of Thomas Merritt
And murdered him beside?
Oh, loving hearts that took me in again
When I returned from fourteen years in prison!
Oh, helping hands that in the church received me,
And heard with tears my penitent confession,
Who took the sacrament of bread and wine!
Repent, ye living ones, and rest with Jesus.

So he went to prison for his crime, served his time and came back to the community.

You can find "Spoon River Anthology" on Bartleby's website. Here is the link
http://www.bartleby.com/84/index1.html...

If you can find it on books on tape it is wonderful!

Spending time in cemeteries makes me wonder what stories those people would tell.
There is nothing weird or morbid about cemetries. They are beautiful places of peace and tranquility. They are intriguing and interesting as well as thought provoking. Its the last link we have with our loved ones. I love cemetries too.
Maybe you are subconsciously picking your plot!
the dead can't heart you.yea your not alone in liking those areas.it's peace....full..
i do too when i visit my wife's grave which i do every morning I just feel at peace with no noise only the birds and the squirrels dashing about

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net