twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why doesn't one get tired or hungry when anxious?

What makes the so called stress hormone make one lose thier appetite? It's like something automatically shuts off on me. I have no interest or desire to eat, let alone sleep. It's not that I'm constantly on the go, but I'm always doing something. If sitting, I write or work on a craft. If in my home office I organize. Why is it like this? When I've been like this for days I can sleep my normal 6-7 1/2 hours a night. Will I ever get back to my normal sleep routine?
Answer:
There are two parts of the nervous system: the sympathetic NS and the parasympathetic NS. Sympathetic is like the accelerator on your car and parasympathetic is like the brakes.

Because anxiety is a "fight or flight" reaction, it belongs in the accelerator, or sympathetic nervous system. Tired and hungry take longer to compute and they're not that big a deal (they're ignorable), so they belong in the parasympathetic nervous system.

Only one works at a time and when something comes up, the sympathetic ns can override parasympathetic, stopping hunger and sleep due to anxiety.

If you want sleep, try to destress yourself. Make a to do list for tomorrow and put it out of your mind for tonight. You can also try herbal remedies like Valerian root or Chamomile tea. Also, try not to eat too late and make your last meal light.

Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net